A minimum of 6 hours spread over at least one day. Ideally, the course should be run in one day, but must be completed within 3 weeks of starting the course, with each training session a minimum of two hours. .
A range of First Aid for Mental Health related subjects are covered including:
- What is First Aid for Mental Health?
- Identifying mental health conditions
- Providing advice and starting a conversation
- Mental health conditions
- Drugs and alcohol
- First Aid for Mental Health action plan
- First Aid for Mental Health in the workplace
A maximum of 16 students are allowed on the course and must be a minimum of 14 years of age. A certificate can be offered to all, subject to assessment.
A range of methods are used, including practical and questioning (open and multiple-choice).
A Level 2 Award in First Aid for Mental Health will be issued to the learner, subject to successful assessment. There is no expiry of the qualification, but annual refresher training is recommended.